Cookies are one of the few desserts that I whole heartedly believe should always be made from scratch.
Box mixes can be so easy to throw together cakes, brownies, pudding, you name it. Nearly anything you want comes ready for you to add oil and eggs and enjoy a dessert.
But cookies are so easy to make from scratch, and they are so much better than anything pre-made. And these Double Chocolate Cookies are so simple and so festive with the addition of a little peppermint.
These cookies make a perfect addition to any Christmas cookie lineup, a festive gift, or just an awesome chocolatey snack.
I borrowed the recipe for the cookies from Like Mother Like Daughter. Then I added the peppermint for a festive twist (and also because I love peppermint.)
As you can see, I left some plain because my boyfriend hates the peppermint bits. If you’re in the same boat, they taste just as delicious without the peppermint.
Without further ado, here is the recipe for 24 knock-your-socks-off Double Chocolate Peppermint cookies:
Prep Time: 15 mins
Bake Time: 8 mins
Stand-By Time: 30 mins
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chunks
- 2 peppermint candy canes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together the butter and sugars in a mixing bowl until combined and light in color.
- Mix in the vanilla and the eggs.
- Add the baking soda, salt, cocoa powder, and flour and stir until everything is combined.
- Mix in the chocolate chips (by hand, if using an electric mixer.)
- Put the batter in the fridge for up to 30 minutes to make it a little less sticky and easier to work with.
- Meanwhile, crush the candy canes inside a plastic sandwich baggie using a rolling pin or kitchen mallet.
- Once chilled, form the dough into 1-inch balls and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Using a lightly floured fork, gently press the balls down flat.
- Sprinkle the crushed candy canes on top and bake in the oven for about 8 minutes.
- Allow to sit for 2-3 minutes and then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in an air tight container for up to one week.