The cold, dreary winter weather always makes me want to cook comfort food. And, having the warm oven on is always a good thing during the winter. There’s nothing better than a delicious warm soup paired with freshly baked bread or a tasty casserole.
Or, if you’re looking for something a little more sweet, try this simple banana bread recipe. It’s delicious any time of the year, but it’s a nice break from all the super sweet cookies and pies that are being made around this time of year. This recipe is great to warm your belly and your home!
The awesome thing about banana bread is that it’s extremely simple. No need for a mixer or fancy equipment. All you’ll need is a mixing bowl and a loaf pan! It’s also very customizable. Add nuts, chocolate chips, or whatever else you like. You can even put the batter in muffin tins and make banana muffins!
- 2 overripe bananas
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/4 cups flour
- Optional: 1/2 cup walnuts or chocolate chips
1.Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a loaf pan (or muffin tin, if using.)
2. In medium mixing bowl, mash bananas until there are minimal chunks.
3. Add melted butter and mix until combined.
4. Mix in salt, baking soda, sugar, cinnamon and allspice.
5. Add in the beaten egg and vanilla extract and mix thoroughly.
6. Gradually add flour. Mix until combined but do not overmix.
7. If adding nuts or chocolate chips, fold in gently.
8. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
9. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
10. Remove loaf from pan and let cool for 15 minutes on a cooling rack before slicing and serving.
Enjoy! Let me know what your favorite holiday baked treat is!